Cabinet QC and quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinet QC and quality

On another forum there is a section to provide input and feedback to the manufacturer for suggestions for changes or such. I'll try this section and see if this is the correct spot. If not could a mod move it appropriately?

I have been researching 5th wheels for my next purchase and looking at the Vilano 320GK. The first one I saw had the lighter cabinets, amber glaze and it looked real nice. Yesterday I viewed another one that was the mocha and didn't like it, too dark. But I also was doing a more thorough inspection looking more at the quality of the build and fit and finish. Very poor finish to the cabinets. They were not sanded and finished properly before staining leaving them rough. The cabinet doors had the door inserts stapled crudely on the inside and visible. Staples visible on other areas such as the cabinet above the TV. Poor assembly with the parts and corners not even. Cabinet doors had a flimsy feel for an all wood product. Drawer slides are lightweight and flimsy. When you pull out a drawer there is excessive wobble side to side in the drawers. Drawers themselves feel solid. Perhaps the drawer slides need more screws to secure them to the framing.

If I'm expected to spend $80+-110+ on a Vilano/Beacon then I expect top quality workmanship. It's not there so I'm not buying anything yet. Maybe next year if they clean their act up.

Today I went to the RV Museum and Hall of Fame in Elkhart IN and in the exhibit was a relatively current Keystone Cougar 5th wheel. It's a supposedly much lower end trailer BUT the inside of the cabinets were constructed without ugly visible staples. For reference the staples in the Vilano I looked at reminded me of what the inside of a picture frame would be where staples are used to hold in the artwork in the framing. Course no one looks at the inside of a painting whereas cabinets are opened regularly. GD might want to send some of their cabinet people to Elkhart to see how it's done.
    2007 Itasca Horizon, 12 Wrangler Toad
    2015 GD Solitude 320X, 2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CC, LWB, 4WD, SRW
    SOON TO BE POSSIBLY Vilano 320GK

I looked at 2 more Vilano today, a 369FB and don't remember the other. Both had the lighter amber glaze which is a much nicer wood finish. The finishing was better but still not what it should be. But the cabinets were constructed differently. On the inside of one the cabinet door used trim pieces to cover the staples and the other trailer the wood door inserts were set inside the framing. 3 trailers in 2 days and 3 different cabinet construction methods. That is a complete lack of QA and blind QC. I didn't check the first 320GK I saw 3 weeks ago so no idea what method was used on it. I'm going to schedule a factory tour week after next and will ask them what the standard is supposed to be and why the disparities in construction.

Girlfriend pointed out the use of 2 different grey patterns for wall paper, brown fabric trim in the bedroom and white vinyl vertical strips on the window trim. Same white vinyl over the bedroom door opening. She described it as aesthetically unpleasing. They need someone who knows how to design interiors.

Comment

I dig the amber glaze on my cabinets, but I do also like the darker cabinets too. I think the wallpaper is too dark but I'm fine with it. It's a give and take at the end of the day, right?

TVS

Comment

Originally posted by TVS View Post
        I dig the amber glaze on my cabinets, but I do also like the darker cabinets too. I think the wallpaper is too dark but I'm fine with it. It's a give and take at the end of the day, right?

TVS
        Not really. I find it unacceptable the lack of standardization in something as simple as cabinets. Vanleigh makes a big deal in their advertising and brochures about all wood cabinets made in-house. I'm going to schedule a factory tour week after and I fully intend to address this to the appropriate people.

I do like the amber glaze but saw in the online brochure that a 4th choice of ginger maple is offered. Hopefully I can see example when I am there.

Comment

We have a 18 375fl in Kentucky chestnut stain. It’s the richer deeper of the two lighter stains that were available.. Don’t let the hype fool you on the cabinet work being top notch, it’s crap. We have staples sticking out in a few places, cracked wood, and unfinished edges. Zero quality control. Buyer be ware!!
          2012 FORD F-350 4x4 CC DRW
          2018 VILANO 375FL HEAVILY OPTIONED

Comment

We have a 2019 39GBB. Love it. But the QC needs to be improved. The pulls on the cabinets are not even or straight with the one next to it. The trim will have plugs over the screws holes on one piece and not on the other. Bathroom cabinet on the slide is about 11/2’’ out of line from one end to the other, very noticeable. The slider doors for the bedroom and bathroom do not latch properly. The storage compartment behind the panel. It looks as if they grabbed a armful of wires, tubing and pipes and just threw in there and left it. The main awning is to short to cover the entry door properly, it’s about 5’’ to short in my opinion. Both of my awnings will not extend on there own. We have to hold the button for a minute and then go out and give them a little help to start opening. Again love it but disappointed with the QC. Things. You don’t see until after you start using.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler View Post
              We have a 2019 39GBB. Love it. But the QC needs to be improved. The pulls on the cabinets are not even or straight with the one next to it. The trim will have plugs over the screws holes on one piece and not on the other. Bathroom cabinet on the slide is about 11/2’’ out of line from one end to the other, very noticeable. The slider doors for the bedroom and bathroom do not latch properly. The storage compartment behind the panel. It looks as if they grabbed a armful of wires, tubing and pipes and just threw in there and left it. The main awning is to short to cover the entry door properly, it’s about 5’’ to short in my opinion. Both of my awnings will not extend on there own. We have to hold the button for a minute and then go out and give them a little help to start opening. Again love it but disappointed with the QC. Things. You don’t see until after you start using.
              Yeah, I’ve got all those problems plus a few. Kinda thought it would be put together a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using VLForums mobile app

Comment

Working...
              X