Insulation behind fridge access panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation behind fridge access panel

I popped open this fridge service panel shortly after buying this trailer and noticed that the access panel to the ice maker supply lines on the back of the fridge has zero insulation. See first picture. Blue water lines are clearly visible protected only by the 1/8" thick plastic door. Crazy design feature.

I'm doing some work on a construction site so I grabbed a couple pieces of 3/4" poly (type) insulation and cut two 6" by 6.5" squares and stuffed them into this access hole.

I get why that access hole is there, and as a full timer, I won't be winterizing anytime soon - I'd much rather have the protection.

Good idea!!
    2012 FORD F-350 4x4 CC DRW
    2018 VILANO 375FL HEAVILY OPTIONED

Comment

Well, i am going to copy you on that one. thank you for the idea. i knew what the box was for but never opened it.

Comment

Nice and innovative idea!

Comment

Reporting back after a couple months of winter - no issues at all. Did not turn off or isolate the fridge lines, just the 2" of insulation packed on the other side of the door. I try to avoid the super-cold, but had 3-4 days of sub freezing temps and I fared well. I believe the water line from the fresh tank to the pump goes through a small portion of un-insulated or poorly insulated space because that line did freeze up on me one time - after that, I just pumped more heat into the basement which took care of that problem.

Comment

Great idea. I will check mine immediately. Thanks for the good word.

Comment

Same problem. Insulated myself. All good for now.

Comment

While your insulating, don't forget to look behind the access panel al the shower enclosure side wall. Opened it up and no insulation behind access panel and the next object iis the back side of the shower fixture and water lines. I installed insulation here as well to avoid any issues in freezing weather. It's a big void so I'll have to do better job once it's warm and dry outside.

Comment

I would be interested in knowing what you would consider the low temp limit of your unit. We now have a Vilano 385RD. Our old unit had a completely open belly except for some DIY insulation around the fresh water tank outlet. That worked fine for overnight lows of 20 F. I assume this will do better but would like to know of any first hand experiences.

Comment

Working...
                  X